50,000 Consumers Name Products of the Year
Chosen by 50,000 consumers nationwide in collaboration with research agency TNS, Product of the Year USA honored the nation's most innovative consumer packaged goods of 2013 at its 5th annual Awards Ceremony, taking place at the Edison Ballroom in New York City on Tuesday, February 12. This year's 27 selected winners were also revealed on the cover of PARADE magazine.
Operating in 32 countries and now in its fifth year in the United States, Product of the Year is the world's largest consumer-voted product award that celebrates innovation and consumer confidence in consumer packaged goods.
"Everyone is on the lookout for innovation and really great new ideas," says PARADE Editor in Chief Maggie Murphy. "The 2013 Product of the Year list provides a snapshot of America's habits, tastes and trends, and shows how companies are reflecting what consumers want. Letting folks weigh in is just one more way of giving those consumers a seat at the table."
And the winners are:
- Skin Care – Abreva Conceal – GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare
- Pet Care – Adams Smart Shield Applicator – Central Garden and Pet
- Laundry Packs – All Mighty Pacs – Sun Products Corporation
- Oral Care – Aquafresh Extreme Clean Pure Breath Action Paste – GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare
- Paper Towel – Brawny Paper Towels – Georgia-Pacific
- Personal Hygiene – Dial Triple Moisture Body Wash – The Dial Corporation, A Henkel Company
- Tableware – Dixie Ultra – Georgia-Pacific
- Fruit Products – DOLE Frozen Fruit Single-serve Cups – Dole Packaged Foods
- Vegetable – Farmer's Garden by Vlasic – Pinnacle Foods
- Home Care – Finish Quantum with New Power Gel – Reckitt Benckiser
- Children's Products – Goodnights Disposable Bed Mats – Kimberly-Clark Corporation
- Frozen Vegetables – Green Giant Seasoned Steamers – General Mills
- Frozen Entrees – Healthy Choice Baked Entrees – ConAgra Foods
- Frozen Smoothie – DOLE Fruit Smoothie Shakers – Dole Packaged Foods
- Mouthwash – LISTERINE ULTRACLEAN Antiseptic Mouthwash – Johnson & Johnson McNEIL PPC, Inc
- Snacks – M&M's Brand Snack Mix – Mars Chocolate North America, LLC
- Natural Sleep Aid – MidNight for Menopause – Meda Pharmaceuticals
- Candy – Nestlé Crunch Girl Scout Candy Bars – Nestlé USA
- Insect Repellent – OFF! Bug Control Backyard Pretreat – SC Johnson
- Feminine Wellness – Poise Wellness Line – Kimberly-Clark Corporation
- Breakfast – Quaker Real Medleys Oatmeal – PepsiCo
- Bath Tissue – Quilted Northern Ultra Plush – Georgia-Pacific
- Stain Removal – Resolve All-Stains – Reckitt Benckiser
- Energy Drink – SK Energy Shots – SK Energy
- Home Appliance – SodaStream Revolution Home Soda Maker – SodaStream USA
- Liquid Laundry – Surf Liquid Laundry Detergent – Sun Products Corporation
- OTC Relief – TUMS Freshers – GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare
Beginning in March of 2013, consumers nationwide will be able to recognize the winners of innovation on supermarket shelves by looking for the honorary red "Product of the Year" seal, which can be found on packaging, advertising and in-store displays.
A recent study by TNS found that carrying the Product of the Year stamp of approval increases a product’s credibility and consumer trial. Research shows that the Product of the Year seal on packaging is 25 percent more effective at generating purchase intent than the word “new!” Additionally, 36 percent of consumers are more likely to trust an advertisement featuring a Product of the Year seal. And for manufacturers of the winning products, the award is a powerful marketing message proven to increase retail distribution and sales by an average of 10 percent to 15 percent.